Re: lubing the rack and pinion

To: theedge@cts.com (Alan & Debbie Lindner)
Subject: Re: lubing the rack and pinion
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 23:32:02 -0800 (PST)
Alan---Gear oil is recommended, but I find that it is too thin. (Oil
does no good if it is lying in the bottom of the boot) I mix up a
"paste" using gear oil and Lubriplate, and pack it in separate grease
gun. It flows without running. This may not be correct, but my steering
is still tight, and has never been repaired in any way.

The plug that must be removed to grease this rack and pinion must be a
special, straight thread. It is 'close enough' to accept a standard 1/8"
pipe grease fitting. I use a common one with a 30 deg. angle so I can
access the fitting once in place. Note that the (tapered) fitting will
not bottom out in these rack plug threads, so you either must replace
the plug, OR build up under the Zirk fitting with enough spacers so that
the horns wire have a ground connection. If you decide to keep the Zirk
in place, check the horn blow  afterward.

Dick