AABESTCO convertible tops update (long).

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: AABESTCO convertible tops update (long).
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 10:51:48 -0800
        6-pack members:

        As promised, here is my latest update on my AABESTCO (made by ACME)
TR6 convertible top as ordered for my 1974 Triumph TR6.

        A quick recap: The top was delivered late, but with a free upgrade
to overnight shipping. The delivery had slipped past the originally promised
date, and when I inquired AABESTCO apologized, gave a new commit date and
over
night shipping. It arrived right on time for the second commit date. I feel
that this merits a good rating for service (they are sincere, and responded
complaints).
        I had ordered the TR6 top with zip out rear window and reflective
stripes. The quality of the materials seems to be very good, although the
reflective stripes do not extend around the rear of the top as they do on
the OEM top. The stripes merely extend around the top and rear of the window
glass. The workmanship seems to be of excellent quality as well.
        I started fitting the top this weekend. The fitting of the top to
the rear deck proceeded without incident, although as I have previously
mentioned, a couple of the snaps seemed to be off by about 1/8". I attribute

this to the usual difficulties in working with vinyl that changes shape and
size slightly as the temperature changes. In any event, a little tugging and

pulling got the snaps fastened without any fuss.
        I did encounter an issue that will keep me from recommending the top
to others, however. I am not certain at this point if the issue is mine, or
AABESTCOs.
        When snapping the top to the frame bows, the snaps refused to line
up
on the rear most bow (just above the rear window). A quick glance showed
why;
the top has 6 snaps, my frame had only 5. In addition, the top's interior
flap
which holds the female snaps is too wide to fit between the webbing that
runs between the frame bows. Hmmm.
        I thought at first I might simply be missing a snap, but this is not

the case. The snaps are mounted on different centers from my frame, and
so there is no way to simply add a snap to my frame and finish the install.
        I ended up drilling out all five snaps from my frame, drilling new
holes on new centers, and pop riveting in the required 6 snaps to
accommodate
the AABESTCO top. This is not a huge deal, but could hardly be considered
routine. In addition, I will need to trim the interior flap to make it short
enough to pass between the frame webbing.
        My question to all of you; How many snaps do you have on the rear
most
bow for your convertible top? 5, 6 or ?? If you have 5 as I did, then the
AABESTCO top is not recommended. If your top has 6 snaps, then the top
should
fit w/o problems, although you may still need to shorten the interior flap
to allow it to pass between the frame webs. By the way, the original snaps
on my
bow were of the black plastic variety, and so appeared to be the OEM snaps.
But
I acknowledge the possibility that these were buggered by the previous
owner.
        I will be forwarding a copy of this review to AABESTCO for comment.
suspect they will respond, as they have been very good about replying to
emailed
questions and comments.

        To recap -
        Service: Good.