Re: Stock TR250 Cam or GP2

To: <red_tr250@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Stock TR250 Cam or GP2
From: Shane Ingate <madmax_xx@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 13:19:02 -0500
Todd Bermudez wrote:

> I've heard that the TR250 cam was pretty good, but with the mods that I'm
> talking about, would a GP2 cam be better?  I don't plan on racing the car,
> but I'd like more power.

I think you mean the TR5 cam; the TR250 cam was relatively mild.

Cams are like people; they are all different.  I think it takes a very, very
experienced engine builder to look at what has been done to a motor, and
then chose a cam.  This will generally give very pleasing results for mild
cams, but will often lead to great unhappiness as one moves up the
performance ladder.  So when talking to a cam designer, you need to provide
them with the following:
    - how you drive the car (ie what is intended use, rpm and throttle
settings)
    - what does the port flow in cfm
    - how much vacuum you need
    - carb flow in cfm
    - comp ratio, bore, stroke, valve size and rod length
Then the cam designer has something to work with.

Sure, a GP2 or TR5 cam will give you more power, but it will most likely not
be optimal for your style of driving, or your particular motor.

Design and build the motor for your needs, not from a catalog.

Call Isky/Crower/APT/Kent/Elgin/etc and ask them.

Shane Ingate in Maryland