Re: Winterisation

To: "6Pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Winterisation
From: "jonmac" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 22:47:10 -0000
My layup procedures (for 2 large Triumph saloons) are an integral part of
the annual preservation schedule: Our UK winters do not feature dramatically
low temperatures and dry cold. It's WET cold, periodic heavy frosts and
abundant air-borne moisture
-Anti-freeze is topped up, engine oil and filter changed - regardless of
mileage covered since last oil change.
- Waxoyling of lower front valances, inner front wings, sills (rockers),
base of C posts and body joins/crevices in rear boot floor. Filthy, smelly
job - but necessary and always done at this time of the year. I'd much
rather use Dinitrol for this task but can't afford it for two cars.
- Whole of body underside, especially wheel arches, sprayed with penetrating
oil. Particular attention paid to front suspension legs, rear semi-trailing
arms and all related joints, couplings, cables and sliding points. Engine
block is also similarly treated and all electrical connections - lights and
engine bay terminals, dizzy interior and cap bare sprayed with anti-damp
fluid
- As car is finally parked, a quick blast of penetrating oil into each
cylinder via spark plug hole. Plugs are replaced and tightened
- Fingers of an old rubber glove put over air cleaner inlets and a plastic
bag is placed over exhaust and held in place with two rubber bands
- Throttle linkages and related cables painted with a gasoline diluted mix
of engine oil. Gasoline quickly evaporates leavig oil in place. This quickly
burns off the following year
- Tyres inflated to +20psi over normal settings
- Cars are thorougly vacuumed and windows polished inside and out. Several
sachets of silica gel are placed inside body and trunk
- Cars are thorougly washed and wax polished
- All chrome (not stainless steel trim) is coated with petroleum jelly
- Batteries are removed, fully charged and kept in the utility room. They
have a top up re-charge mid January and another in March when cars are being
prepared for the summer.
- Finally, both vehicles are parked in gear, handbrake released and wheels
chocked

It normally takes a weekend per car to do this work. Come the spring, it's
basically a question of cleaning off the grease on chrome, washing and
polishing the car, reducig tyre pressures and re-fitting the battery. Then
it's 'off for the summer.'

Jonmac

Last few book copies "In The Shadow of my Father" at
www.toolbox.ndirect.co.uk/triumphbook