Reversing lenses

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Reversing lenses
From: "James Jerrel" <jjerrel@email.dnet.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 12:55:12 -0500
Hi. I have a question about the backup lenses for the TR6.  I have noted over
the years that there appears to be two types.  One type has a "blueish" tint
and the other type is clear.  I seem to remember someone explaining this before
but I can't remember.  I have an early 1970 TR6 and previously owned a 1969.
Both have/had the "blueish" tinted lenses. About a year ago, I purchased a new
set of Lucas lenses from The Roadster Factory, and they were of the clear
variety.  Can anyone explain the reason for the difference?  I was thinking
that the orignal lenses for the early cars may have had the "blueish" tint and
then later spec cars changed to the clear variety?  Maybe Lucas just changed
their "recipe" on their own?  Just one of those nagging little questions.
Would the different type of lenses be noted in a car show judging (ie- an early
car that was supposed to have the "blueish" lenses would be marked down for
having the clear ones and vice versa?  Thanks for any info.