Adaptor on carbon canister

To: "'6pack'" <6pack@autox.team.net>, "'triumphs'"
Subject: Adaptor on carbon canister
From: Hugh Fader <hfader@usa.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 12:16:11 -0500
I'm getting close to having my vapor recovery and breather plumbing in
place. I found black nylon tubing identical to the original at McMaster-Carr
(part# 5548K18). I used 15/32" emission hose for the large vacuum lines.
It's a real bear getting it over the tee adaptors, but it seems to make an
airtight fit. The hoses were routed slightly differently on earlier and
later TR6s. I chose to use the later routing because it fits the front carb
better. I blew into the breather on the valve cover and noticed that there
were leaks around the bolt holes. This may have had something to do with my
idle instability. Sealed them with black RTV.

I'm not happy about the vacuum hose fittings on the carbs. TRF did not have
the restrictors (154210), only the adaptors (155148). I bought those, but
they have a larger orifice - about 0.3" vs. the 0.18" that Sam Gentry
reported to me. This may not sound like much of a difference, but it's
triple the cross-sectional area and therefore triple the flow. Maybe the
mixture adjustment can compensate for this?

Now to my question. There is a detail on the carbon canister I am trying to
figure out. None of the catalogs seem to have exactly what I have on my 72
TR6, but TRF p. 89 is closest. They show a restrictor (154209) going from
the vacuum hose to the two-port carbon canister. From the illustration, it
looks like the fitting goes over the top of the pipe on the canister. Now,
my canister has what looks like a restrictor, but it fits inside the pipe.
Are these equivalent or are both required? Can anybody with a stock setup
take a look for me?

I know this may all sound pretty obsessive, but I think the details have to
be right. After all, this is a carefully calibrated vacuum leak!

Regards,
Hugh Fader