Re: Blue smoke and good compression

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Blue smoke and good compression
From: "Nathaniel Steiner" <nathaniel_steiner@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 11:39:15 -0700
My suspicion would be valve guides as others have mentioned, but there is
perhaps more to consider here.  Think about the crankcase breather system on
these cars.  The crankcase (at low RPMs at least) operates at a negative
pressure.  Remove your oil filler cap at idle and you'll see what I mean.
In effect the whole crankcase acts like a huge vacuum reservoir.  Now under
a heavy load/high RPM situation, the vacuum will fall off, and the crankcase
pressure will rise.  If your engine has a few miles on it, blowby may be
causing the crankcase pressure to become positive.  Now, in this situation,
there is a pressure differential across the valve guides (which may be
flooded in oil at high RPM) and oil will flow past them.  I wouldn't be too
concerned unless you start having detonation problems, as it takes precious
little oil to wipe out all the "octane" in your gas.  As a side note, a PCV
valve can be added to the system, and this may help.  Beware that your
engine will tend to weep a bit more oil this way.

Nate Steiner
CF140U

There are two rules for success in life.
Rule #1: Don't tell people everything you know.