Lincoln Welder: What have I bought?

To: owner-6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Lincoln Welder: What have I bought?
From: John Griffiths <John.Griffiths@uregina.ca>
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2002 17:52:37 -0600
Hi Folks:

This morning in a drowze I was looking through the local paper and
noticed an ad for a Harley cover (which was what actually got my
attention) AND then a Lincoln arc welder. The seller was only asking
$125 Cdn (about $70 US). "Would he mind" I thought to myself "if I
called at 6:00 AM?" I had seen your collective comments on Lincoln as
being a good name in welders and I'd always kind of wanted one. I know
NOTHING about welding though I have a few small jobs pending. I decided
to wait a couple or three hours hoping that someone else would not be
less considerate and beat me to the unit. I called at eight and heard a
sultry lady's voice asking me to leave a message. I was very
impressed that this was a Harley rider. Only after making some
"Tooltime" noises and hanging up did I realize I had a wrong number. I
tried again. No answer. I went to rehearsal (I'm a musician) and tried
at break. No answer. Oh... MY... GAWD!!! I should have called at six.
He must have sold it. I tried again after rehearsal. No answer.
Despondent I went out with my son to look at Palm pilots. Finally I got
an answer. The welder had not yet sold. I drove over there and under an
old tv and a broken hassock in the garage I found the object of my
craving: the Lincoln. I'd like to say it was glimmering but red was
close enough for me. I got it for $100 Cdn (almost nothing US). Now...
what have I bought?

It's a Lincoln model AC 225-S, Type K-1170, Serial #88029 (if that
matters...). It's a 220 current (I'll have to get it wired in) and has
a range of 40-225 amps. It weighs a ton and strikes me as being unlike
your average home machine.

Clearly I'll git me some larnin' before I fire this puppy up **at all**
but does anyone know if this (assuming it works as well as promised) is
a reasonably good machine?

Thanks for any comment.

John

'73 TR6 CF3396U