Re: misfiring after sustained high speeds

To: <RazorBobSr@aol.com>
Subject: Re: misfiring after sustained high speeds
From: "James Franks" <jimmble@adelphia.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2002 06:28:33 -0500
What happened in my case was this: I would have the same symptoms you
described, but if I stopped when the car began to stutter and removed the
gas cap, it would give a 'sucking sound' as air rushed into the tank.  What
was occurring was the tank wasn't able to vent properly thru the carbon
cannister, so a prolonged highway run would create a vacuum in the fuel tank
that eventually would interrupt fuel flow to the motor. Since the cannister
wasn't COMPLETELY plugged, I wouldn't notice it around town.

It's easy to check. Pull the line into the cannister and go for a highway
run to see if it goes away. Or, next time it occurs, see if the tank is
being vented by stoppingand quickly popping the gas cap and listen for the
sucking sound.

Jim