misfiring after sustained high speeds

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: misfiring after sustained high speeds
From: "Peter Beyl" <beyl@erols.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2002 15:07:38 -0500
Thought I had the problem solved. PO installed floats in my '75 TR6 upside
down. Car still ran! I've rebuilt carbs, new coil, rotor, cap, plugs,
ignition wires, fuel filter. PO installed new fuel pump. Car runs fine
around town. When I get it on the highway for solid driving for over 1/2 hr,
all of a sudden engine will start to break up. I'll push in the clutch and
rev the engine several times. Sometimes it clears right away, other times it
takes a while. It will be backfiring and will not idle. Today it just
happened briefly. When I went slower, car behaved OK.
I go through the gears fine. No hesitation at high RPM's.
PO also installed a crane ignition. This is the only thing I haven't
changed. I heard they are quite reliable. I wonder if when the car gets hot
that it starts to malfuntion.
Other thought I had was that the problem was fuel related. At high speeds
engine is sucking more gas. I wonder if there is some dreck in the bottom of
the gas tank
I haven't driven the car very much. Been spending more time on repairs.
Having brakes were a necessity before taking any test rides!
If anyone could offer suggestions, I'd really appreciate it.
Please email me direct. Thanks in advance!

Pete Beyl
'75 TR6 - Soon to be a reliable driver.
Middlebush, NJ