Trunnions Anyone?

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Trunnions Anyone?
From: "Dwayne Cooper" <dcooper@paciolan.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 16:38:52 -0800
I've got the front suspension all apart in the '74 and like any good
shipwright, I'm tidying up a a little as I go.  The trunnions looks real nice
all cleaned up, turn freely, and even have little fittings which you can
remove to add oil (I think).  The Bentley manual gives instructions for
overhauling the trunnion: basically dissassemble it, clean it up, and fill it
to 25% with oil and reassemble it.  Should I do this, or just just remove the
fitting and add oil through the hole in the side?  Frankly, the whole assembly
is kind of mysterious to me, is a trunnion just a standard way to provide a
pivot in one direction?  Why the gear oil and not grease?

Thanks,

Dwayne Cooper
'74