Re: dash lights update

To: <SamuelsMA@aol.com>
Subject: Re: dash lights update
From: Shane Ingate <madmax_xx@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2002 09:31:08 -0500
Michael Samuels wrote:

> [snip]
> A new fuse solved the problem.
>
> Anyway, a minor question:  The fuse which was bad was a 2 amp fuse.  The new
> fuse selection I bought at the gas station had nothing under 5 amps, so I
> used the 5 amp fuse instead.  I have checked the shop manual and I can't find
> a listing of the proper fuse ratings, just an explanation of how to remove
> and insert the fuses.  Is 5 amps too high, and should I get a 2 amp fuse for
> the application?  It is the 3rd fuse down from the top.

Under no circumstances should you use a non-Lucas fuse.  I'm not kidding!

Lucas fuses are quite different to the BUSS fuses available everywhere.  The
Lucas fuses are rated quite differently to BUSS.  I'm sure others can
explain the reason why.  The problem is in finding Lucas fuses.  I think TRF
has them, but I know that the others will try to sell you BUSS fuses at the
same price.

If your wiring system is less then perfect, and because BUSS fuses take more
to blow, you will be adding considerably more amps that your wires will
carry, and more often than not, your wires will burn before the BUSS fuses.

Check the archives for extensive discussions on this topic some years ago.

Your Car Owners Manual will have a listing of the correct fuses to use.

Shane Ingate in Maryland