Follow-up on differential seal replacement

To: 6pack list <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Follow-up on differential seal replacement
From: Peter Macholdt <vze2846b@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 11:37:11 -0500
Thought I'd follow-up and thank the list for all the suggestions regarding
replacement of the oil seals on the axle shafts of my differential. In
particular, I'd like to thank Bob Lang who suggested a 1/4" steel plate
bolted to the output flange and a professional hydraulic press (not a wheel
puller) for disassembly.

I took the axle assemblies to a service station this morning. They used
their 15 ton press and didn't get anywhere. Then I went to my local NAPA
store. He used his 40 ton press and a few sharp raps from a hammer to free
the flanges.

My suggestion to the list. Don't even think about doing this job unless you
have access to one of these big presses. You may get lucky and have your
homemade 8 ton press work, but, then again, you may need the help of a big
gun.

Peter
'68 TR250