Re: PI on 5 cylinders, again!

To: saffrontr@tiscali.co.uk
Subject: Re: PI on 5 cylinders, again!
From: SamuelsMA@aol.com
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2002 15:41:28 EST
Derek:

I can't tell you how happy I am that you encourage me to try the injector/jam
jar check on my PI.  I checked all the injectors just as you suggested, after
re-reading your note and checking the shop manual, which was indentical.  As
things generally work out, I first checked all the easy injectors (#1,2, 6,
5).  They all looked identical and sprayed a fine fuel mist into my jar.  My
son was standing by with the fire extinguisher.  Then I disconnected the
black plastic thing that connects the air filter/plenum and the valve cover
and checked injector #4.  It looked identical and made a nice mist.  Then I
tried #3, and noticed immediately that the entire injector looked different.
Instead of having a needle-shaped point at the end and a part # stamped on it
of Lucas 17 77 73 125 E, it had a blunt end and a part # of Lucas 39 71 73125
A.  More to the point, it was barely dripping fuel.  I inverted it, but it
never did more than drip.  So I am pretty sure that I have found the problem.
 Not surprisingly, the car ran extremely roughly when I removed all the other
injectors (on 4 cylinders), but only the usual roughness when I removed #3 (5
cylinders).

There are 2 points here:  First, I was able to make a diagnosis on my own
(with your help, of course), without having to get the car to the shop.
Second, I proved to myself that I can accomplish some things a little bit
more intimidating than just changing the oil or bleeding the brakes.  It is a
very good feeling.

You asked me the story of my PI.  My car is commission # CP 5179 LP.  It is a
1970 left-hand-drive model.  It was exported to Germany originally and went
though a few owners there.  It has Km/hr markings on the speedo, indicating a
continental European destination.  It had a frame-off restoration in 1992 in
Germany.  Mechanically, the restoration was superb.  They did a repaint from
Mimosa Yellow to Pimento Red, which was well-done but not of concours
quality.  The car was brought to the US by a US Air Force officer in 1996.
He had the transmission rebuilt in Virginia, and tells me that the PI system
was rebuilt not long ago (but I really don't know the details of this, I
think it was before he bought it in 1996).  He put it up for sale on Ebay,
and I bought it from him in May, 2002.  I drove it home 750 miles from
Alabama to South Florida without any problems.  The rough running came later.

Anyway, I will have to find a new injector matching the others.  It looks
very straightforward to install, and I will bleed it as you suggested.  Maybe
I will have my problem licked!

Thanks again for your suggestions.  Also, since I am copying this note to the
list, thanks to all who have helped with all my neophyte questions!

Michael Samuels
Miami Beach, FL