Re: TR250 taillight housing rechrome -- light sockets

To: "Don Malling" <dmallin@attglobal.net>
Subject: Re: TR250 taillight housing rechrome -- light sockets
From: "Gary Fluke" <res0s0t7@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2002 21:21:33 -0800
Don,

It is typically preferable to remove any metal parts that one doesn't want
chrome plated.  There are several potential problems.  Depending on which
cleaning and pickling (acid dip) methods the plater has available there
could be damage to the lamp fixture since it is probably made of copper.
Another consideration is the contact resistance of chrome plate.  It is
probably much greater than copper but may not cause a problem.  I don't know
what potential long term connection problems (galvanic corrosion) there
could be with whatever metal your bulbs are finished with.  They are
presumably designed to mate with a copper fixture, however, for all I know
your TR250 lamp fixture may not be made of copper or could be plated with
any of a variety of metals.  Also, there very well could be a perishable
insulator between your housing and lamp fixture that would not make it
through all of the nasty chemical baths.  Hopefully your plater is local and
you can just show him what you have.  He may be able to use a liquid maskant
in order to protect whatever portion of your part needs protection.

Gary
'73