Frustration after new Stromberg needles, continued

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Frustration after new Stromberg needles, continued
From: "Kronberg, Peter" <Peter.Kronberg@hp.com>
Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 05:17:46 -0500
Hey List,
Well, after sending out that original diatribe last night...I went to bed
hoping for some flash of insight to appear on email this morning.
Nothing. I only hope that doesn't mean that no one can help me...

It DID occur to me that with all this testing, I've run the tank down to below
<. Maybe I've sucked up sediment and fouled the fuel filter. Seems like the
predominant symptom here is that I can get the car to idle (fairly high) only
after tweaking the idle screws...but it won't maintain- after perhaps 30
seconds...the engine sputters and dies...

On the Buckeye Triumph tech page, Nelson says that you can remove the bypass
valves, and cover the holes in the body with duct tape to check it for proper
operation. He further says that the carbs need to be pulled to check that the
throttle springs are holding the throttle plates closed properly.

I have to say again, I was getting very close to good performance on
Friday...until I broke a needle and ended up replacing both. Therefore, I'm
not inclined to think that I've got throttle plate or bypass valve
trouble...unless that is one heck of an unfortunate coincidence.

What I really need help with is...getting out of this catch-22 situation. I
need to get the engine running well enough to warm up and then idle at 900
RPM, so that I can continue with the other sync/tune adjustments that will
restore throttle responsiveness and power.

I can't afford to throw money at the problem- this is one of those critical
lessons that I need to learn for myself- on my quest for "mechanical
autonomy", if you will. Besides- I can't even get her to a mechanic.

Hoping for help from "The Collective" today...

Pete
'76 CF51563U, and still sadly ailing...