RE: Frustration after new Stromberg needles, continued

To: <ShewFamily@aol.com>, <jshewmake@cbslawfirm.com>
Subject: RE: Frustration after new Stromberg needles, continued
From: "Kronberg, Peter" <Peter.Kronberg@hp.com>
Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 08:24:26 -0500
Hey John, List...
Thanks for the support. No, I never did turn the carbs upside down while
off...just because of that float business.
However, so that I could have a productive day on the job without
fretting over last night's frustrations...I went out to the barn for an
hour of work this morning, looking at things from scratch.
My install of the needles and air valves was triple-checked- everything
OK there.
But, I DID find something screwy with the chokes! Turns out, I had too
much travel on the cam! I re-adjusted the 5/16 upper limit of travel
from the stop, re-adjusted the fast idle screws...and from a cold start,
she idled up OK!
After warming up, I still had trouble with achieving the 900 RPM idle,
but after a lot of back and forth with the UniSyn and goofing with idle
screws...she'll idle @ 1100 OK. I enriched the mixture 1/4 turn to
prevent stall when I dialed idle down to achieve the 900 RPM to check
timing.
Man! The relationship between front and back carbs is VERY touchy! I was
matching 1/4 idle screw turns on each carb for balance, but had to drop
down to 1/8 turns to smooth it out!

However...she's MUCH better behaved at idle today, after doing these
myriad adjustments. As luck would have it...it's raining today, so no
test drive for awhile. First stop- the gas station! All this fiddling
has me low on gas, and a bit of a headache (fumes and otherwise).

At least I think I can limp her to the mechanic, if it comes to that.
I'd rather NOT wimp out and throw money at the problem, though...

I'll follow up with a report after the test drive. Speaking of which, I
thought I'd clean my plugs prior, so I can assess mixture...
Any ideas of the best practice for cleaning plugs (which will then be
re-gapped, of course)?

Pete
'76 CF51563U, seemingly on the mend...