Emission Test-More Info

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Emission Test-More Info
From: Trumpet76TR6@cs.com
Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 09:59:35 EDT
  Several people e-mailed me things about being exempt from the emission
test.  In Arizona all cars 1967 and later have to be tested.  For my 76 TR6
it is only an exhaust test at idle and at about a 30 mph cruise on the dyno,
and check the gas cap.  They don't even open the hood on 76s, but newer cars
have much stricter tests.  Also there is no such thing as no pass no pay.
You pay.  If it flunks, you get one free retest.  Then pay every time there
after.  My AIR pump is frozen and doesn't work.  The belt is disconnected.  I
am hoping it passes without it. A new AIR pump is expensive and is useless
(in my opinion) other than to pass the once a year test.  I have a receipt
from the previous owners test twelve years ago.  It flunked, then had a
receipt for a carb adjustment and a receipt that it passed emissions.  But
engine tune can change in twelve years.
  Ken,, AZ,  76 TR6