Latest on new Stromberg needle tuning woes

To: <jshewmake@cbslawfirm.com>
Subject: Latest on new Stromberg needle tuning woes
From: "Kronberg, Peter" <Peter.Kronberg@hp.com>
Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 11:57:04 -0500
Hey All,
I just COULDN'T leave it alone, and there was a break in the weather so
I went for it! Also, I rechecked the timing (after idling down to 850
RPM in short order), and found it @ 6 or 8 degrees after, so I adjusted
it back to 4 ATDC, and went for a ride. Fair pep, but delayed
responsiveness...subtle sputtering under load until RPMs come up..., and
then it seems OK.
My plan is to let her cool down, pull clean and re-gap the plugs, then
try another ride (weather permitting), in order to test the mixture;
make a 1/4 turn adjustment in one or both carbs as the plugs dictate;
re-check ignition timing and then try another ride.

Question- can the carbs be synced, but adjusted differently for mixture?
Could it be that the mixture difference between front and back group
could be responsible for the above symptom? I ask, because both carbs
are drawing evenly via the UniSyn.

Please advise...

Pete
CF51563U, light at the end of the tunnel...hopefully not an oncoming
train...