Re: things to do to a head while getting a valve job

To: Bill Bereza <bereza@pobox.com>
Subject: Re: things to do to a head while getting a valve job
From: Ted Schumacher <tedtsimx@bright.net>
Date: Thu, 01 May 2003 13:36:21 -0400
Bill, you have received some excellent advice.  Let me throw a couple
things into the mix.  Yes to "hot tank' for cleaning;  Yes to
multi-angle valve grind;  Yes to spring replacement;  Yes to guides.
 What I did not see mentioned in the replies was the most important
basic.  Magnaflux. have the head magnafluxed adn also have it pressure
tested.  Magnaflux shows onl surface cracks.  Pressure test shows
internal crack.  Raise compression to about 9.5.  The  higher burn temps
of today's fuel limits the compression on stock pistons, especially in
cast iron engines.  We take the TR8 engine well past 9.5 but the
aluminum engine dissipates heat rapidly.  Use the formula for
compression ratio
rather than how thick the head casting measures.  Good luck.  Please
letl me knwo if we can help.  Ted

--
Ted Schumacher
tedtsimx@bright.net