Re-built Engine Oil

To: "6pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re-built Engine Oil
From: "Wayne Ross" <rengrave@netzero.net>
Date: Mon, 5 May 2003 10:04:37 -0400
Listers,

Not to open a can of worms but:

What is the best oil to use in a newly re-built engine (TR6)?

I have always used Castrol 20/50, but I have been hearing a lot about
synthetic oil protecting the engine from wear better than the natural oil?
Should I use a synthetic oil to "break-in" the newly re-built engine, and then
keep using synthetic after the initial 500 miles?

The reason I performed a re-build was a worn crankshaft, and I later found out
that the camshaft was also worn (4 lobes bad, 4 tappets bad). And my rocker
shaft was also worn with a few rockers sticking. Is there something I can do
to reduce wear? Will synthetic protect the cam and crankshaft better than the
Castrol GTX 20/50? I plan on using assenbly lube on all internal bearings,
cams and oil pump (which is new). I don't really want to install an external
oil feed line to the head due to the stories I have heard about to much oil on
top of the engine could get into the valve guides and cause oil burning.

I have an original spec engine (1973) with a Piper 270 cam. I have had an oil
filter conversion adaptor for the last 10+ years, I plan on using a WIX
filter.
I am also installing a new pressure relief spring.
The car will only be used as a street car.

Wayne Ross
Westport, MA
1973 TR6 (Mallard)