Valve Guides

To: "6pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Valve Guides
From: "Wayne Ross" <rengrave@netzero.net>
Date: Mon, 5 May 2003 11:27:26 -0400
I'm a little concerned:

The engine service machine shop that performed work on my head during my
engine re-build checked the valve guides and said they reamed them because
they were a little sticky.
They also said that the valves and seats were in good condition (all original
to the car, as far as I know this is the first engine re-build), and they
re-assembled the head with all the original valves, springs.

My question is this:
Why would the valve guides need to be reamed? Should'nt the guides be worn and
therfore not need to be reamed? I assume that the shop knows what they are
doing, but I do not want to put the engine together only to have oil burning
or compession loss due to sloppy valves guides.

Wayne Ross
Westport, MA
1973 TR6 (Mallard)