Whitewalls to redwalls

To: "'6pack@autox.team.net'" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Whitewalls to redwalls
From: "Sondergard, Michael L." <michael-sondergard@uiowa.edu>
Date: Tue, 6 May 2003 08:10:56 -0500
I'm sure I've seen this discussed but can't remember the details. Just put a
new set of Yokohama Avid Touring's on my 73, replacing the original Michelin
redlines. I had them mounted with the (thankfully thin) whitewall out but am
now wondering about the best way to redden them ... the installer suggested
using a wide permanet red marker but that didn't sound right. I remember
discussion of using red dye of some kind. I'd like the best possible
results, of course, and would welcome any comments from fellow Sixers in the
know. No one in our local British car club has ever done such a thing, but
one of them suggested that it might work best on a hoist with someone
steadily spinning the tire by hand as the dye or whatever is applied, to
assure an even application. That made more sense but still not sure what
product to use.
Thanks!
Michael Sondergard
Iowa City, IA

FYI ... these new tires are GREAT and, with all due respect to the issue of
originality, offer a substantial performance improvement over the original
Michelins, which lasted 30 years and 56,000 miles.