Oil Pressure Idiot light on '76 TR6

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Oil Pressure Idiot light on '76 TR6
From: "Eric Conrad" <conrade2@msn.com>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 11:40:19 -0600
Strange question follows:

I pulled my '76 TR6 out of the garage for a much needed run to my local
Triumph Club Board meeting last night.  When I connected the battery (I
leave it disconnected during prolonged storage), and before I put the key in
the ignition, the oil pressure idiot light was illuminated.  I put the key
in the ignition, the IGN light turned on.  Once the engine was started, both
lights went out.  I had oil pressure on the gauge, so all was well and I
wasn't concerned.

Upon pulling into the parking space at the meeting, I turned the '6 off, and
the oil pressure light turned on again.  I obviously have an open circuit.
Now, I check the oil pressure switch on the block and pull the white /
purple wire that goes to the electric cutoff valve that resides under the
carbon canister.  The oil light goes off, and no longer comes on.

Question is:  I'm guessing that my cutoff valve was stuck, or was / is
faulty.  Perhaps a winter layover caused the problem.  Anyone want to chime
in with other thoughts on the problem?

Thanks,
Eric Conrad

'76 TR6