Re: Temp Compensator

To: "Mark Anderton" <andertonm@cox.net>
Subject: Re: Temp Compensator
From: "Gary Fluke" <res0s0t7@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 8 May 2003 16:50:20 -0700
Thanks to all who answered my question.  Now, after removing what at first
looked like disintegrating or damaged  seals, I have discovered that the
holes already have rubber plugs in them.  Maybe DPO means Dumb Present
Owner...  I copied the following paragraph from the rebuild info kindly
supplied by Buckeye at http://www.vtr.org/maintain/temp-compensators.html
where the author states:

Some symptoms I have observed from not having enough bypass air is generally
good drivability when cold and poor drivability when warm (if EVERYTHING
else is in working order - ignition, timing, compression, etc) . Also overly
rich mixture only when warm, difficult warm starting and needle mixture
adjustment ineffective only when warm.

I don't doubt that some people have done OK just plugging the hole, but I
guess I'll try them as they are meant to be used based on the above
paragraph.  In addition, I don't know if my poor fuel economy of 18-19mpg
for mixed highway and city driving is related to this whole situation or
not.

Now I've got the compensators coming at $100 + S&H, which Moss says I can
send back for credit.  Moss also says if a customer changes his mind more
than 15 minutes after his order is placed in the computer it is too late and
they don't have time to chase it down in the warehouse, and that sort of
thing "would require a fulltime person" to accomplish.   I've worked
extensively selling goods from a warehouse and that sort of nonsense is
unacceptable to me.  That's the old blame it on the system deal, well who
controls the system?  I'll think twice before going to Moss again.  I'm not
saying I wouldn't use them for anything, but that is strike one.

Gary
'73