Re: Bypass Valve

To: <res0s0t7@verizon.net>, "6pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Bypass Valve
From: "Lumia, John" <jlumia@ball.com>
Date: Fri, 9 May 2003 10:56:07 -0600
Gary, I think the manual states something like the valve is for fine
adjustment of CO or emissions.  Most people just screw it in all the way to
disable it, since most DIYs dont have a way to test emissions.  Mine passed
emissions test fine.  Perhaps it may also serve to prevent popping, but I
think the major contributor to popping is a failure of the gulp valve, the
thing connected to the air pump (if you have one).

John - 1976 TR6

Gary wrote:>
Now I have discovered that each of the bypass valves on my Z-S carbs have
been
blocked off by the placing of a solid gasket between the valve and the carb
body.  The rebuild instructions say the valves are there to stop exhaust
popping when backing off the throttle at high RPM.  I don't recall any
popping.  Does anyone have thoughts, pro or con, about blocking off the
valve?