Head Coolant Passages

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Head Coolant Passages
From: "Dave Mahlmeister" <dmahlmeister@peoplepc.com>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 04:40:36 -0700 (PDT)
Hi everyone,
I really need some help on this one.  I pulled my head
yesterday to replace a blown head gasket. (Long story.
My engine had overheated and I had steam coming up
through my head bolts and exhaust.)  When I started
cleaning up the head and fitting a new gasket I noticed
that the gasket matched all the coolant openings on the
block hole for hole.  On the head it was a different
story.  There were more openings in the head for
coolant to feed through then in the block.  On the carb
side of the head there is a hole between each cylinder
for coolant and on the dizy side there is a hole
between the 2/3 cylinder and between the 4/5 cylinder.
That's a total of 8 holes.  On the block I only have 2
holes between the cylinders and they are on the carb
side between the 2/3 and 4/5 cylinders.  It's no wonder
that the gasket blew. Both head and block match for the
large openings in the front and back.  So there are 5
holes in the head that just "dead end" at the block. To
give you some background I rebuilt the engine several
years ago and noticed that someone else had been in
there.  I know the engine is not original to the car
which is a 72 and I suspect that the head is not
original to the engine either.  When I did the rebuild
I never noticed the disparity.  So my question is what
do I do?  Can I go to a machine shop and have them plug
the extra holes or look for a new head or should I not
be concerned.  Has anyone else noticed this as well?

Dave Mahlmeister
72 Tr6

http://www.peoplepc.com