Re: Lowering car

To: mocharand5@aol.com
Subject: Re: Lowering car
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 11:50:34 -0400 (EDT)
Hi,

I forgot one important detail.

The rear suspension can only be lowered a bit (maybe 1.5 inches) before
the rear upper bump stops become a limiting factor. If you go really low
(like the Ttune "sprint" springs and 1/2" spacer, you will have a total
suspension compression (from static) of less than 1 inch. This is not
enough suspension travel, so you will need to modify the upper bump stop
perch (and you'll need to "reshape" the upper bump stop rubber)  in order
to get acceptable suspension travel.

I mention this because a couple of years ago I lowered the car a bit with
the new springs but "forgot" to check the bump stop clearance before I had
a chance to drive the car. The first run (in cold/damp conditions) was
quite spectacular with two spins. It turns out that the transistion from
600 pounds/inch springs to essentially infinite spring rate (when I hit
the bump stops) made the car transistion to uncontrollable oversteer. To
say it was exciting is a cruel understatement.

regards,
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |