Re: I've got a hole

To: "R. Ashford Little II" <ralittle2@mindspring.com>,
Subject: Re: I've got a hole
From: "Mark Anderton" <andertonm@cox.net>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 21:11:52 -0400
At the risk of getting in trouble with the purists out there, I suggest a
fix that has worked well for me on many daily drivers.  Get a good grade of
paper towel like Bounty and some roofing tar, the liquid fiber kind.  Clean
up around the hole, paint with roofing tar, overlay with a patch of paper
towel, which will conform to just about any contour.  Paint over with some
more of the tar until the towel is saturated - it's messy stuff - don't get
carried away.  Let it set up for a while then put your carpets back in.  I
have pinholes in my floor that are 15+ years old that are still rock solid
with this stuff and have ceased to rust and spread any further.  You have to
be careful whom you discuss this with.  I made the same suggestion on the
e-jag forum and caught a lot of flak.  I believe in making these cars safe
and reliable and then driving them.  If  the damage you have impacts the
structure of the car in some safety sense -fix it right. Hope this gets you
some extra miles of enjoyment.

Mark Anderton
72 TR6
Virginia Beach