Re: suspension bushings

To: Alan <asalvato@tampabay.rr.com>
Subject: Re: suspension bushings
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 10:58:20 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 14 May 2003, Alan wrote:

> I've installed both the uprated rubber bushings from TRF and the prothane
> bushing in  the trailing arms.
> The rubber bushings require a bit more  work to install, but I found them a
> bit firmer which was a good thing, since they're not seperated.
> You should lube the bolt that passes through the bushings; the prothane came
> with their own lube; If installing the rubber ones I would lube the hole in
> the trailing arms to help them slide through.
> I haven't had any squeeking problems with the prothane units.

> The poly bushing will probably out last the rubber ones; but I don't think
> you'll have to worry about that for another 10 years.

Actually - I have to chime in on this one. All good points were made, but
I strongly recommend that no matter what you do that you replace the upper
a-arm bushings in the front with polyurethane or harder material.

The original upper a-arm bushings can get nasty fast. Virtually every TR6
that I work on or look at for folks has most or all of the upper a-arm
bushings "perished". Sometimes the perish within a year or two (depending
on the condition of the upper a-arm fulcrum pivot bracket).

At any rate, it is worth considering the poly-u upper a-arm bushing no
matter what you do with the rest of the suspension.

As a point of reference, I have poly-urethane all around on both my TR6's
and they are not overly harsh. They are firm, but not harsh. And I drive
my street car a lot.

Also note, with the inner lower a-arms in the front and the lower
trunnion bolt and the rear trailing-arm bushings, there is a steel sleeve
that goes through the bushing. You should at the very least use some
anti-seize on the bolts so the sleeve doesn't rust solid to the bolt (and
cause squeaking).

> Al Salvatore
> 76tr6 daily

regards,
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |