TR6 Door Skin Replacement

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 Door Skin Replacement
From: OVERSTREET@aol.com
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 14:29:11 EDT
I am presently having some body and paint work performed on my 76 TR6. In the
process it was decided that the shop would replace the door skins rather than
cut out the lower rusty portion and repair. I had TRF send the door skins
directly to the bodyshop. I was negligent in not confirming the additional
cost to install the door skins. The shop charges $45/hr for the body work
portion of the job. I was somewhat surprised when I got the last progressive
invoice. The shop claims that to remove, replace, blast, and dolly each door
skin is over twenty hrs. per door. ie. about 40 hrs. or $1800 to re skin both
doors. I guess I assumed that replacing the door skins would not take nearly
this many hours. Do any of you have experience with how many hours it should
take a competent body shop to remove, replace, blast and dolly two door skins
on a 76 TR6.

Thanks,
Craig Overstreet
76 TR6 Houston, TX