Re: Dashpot oil removal

To: hfader@usa.net, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Dashpot oil removal
From: Acekraut11@aol.com
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 13:53:32 -0400
Aaron, I don't recall a direction to tune them while empty. Which book says
that? I thought just taking out the dampers was ennough. Gotta do that
anyway on Strombergs in order to adjust them.

- Hugh

Hugh,

The information I found was at the Buckeye Triumphs website.

At the beginning of the article it says(see #4):

"Before starting, the following should be done:

1. Verify all the emission breathing hoses are connected and oil filler cap is
in place and fuel cap closed.

2. Verify the vacuum hose from the manifold is connected to the brake servo
unit (been there, done that).

3. Verify the small vacuum hoses to the distributor and bypass valves (early
carbs), etc. are connected.

4. Remove the dampers (don't add oil to the dampers yet).

5. Lift the air valves and verify that they move freely and return to the down
position with an audible click.

6. Verify that the throttle shafts turn freely."

I have read through the article several times, but have not had a quiet moment
to really study it.  Have to find when it is I am supposed to fill them.  When
tuning the carbs, have people left the dashpots filled?  Benenfits or drawbacks
to one method or the other.

Thanks to all for their suggestions.  Several will work well.

Cheers,
Aaron