Frame & Differential Mount Fun

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Frame & Differential Mount Fun
From: Acekraut11@aol.com
Date: Sun, 18 May 2003 23:30:15 -0400
Hi List,

This probably falls into the category of live and learn.  Although I know
better, my purchase last August was based upon emotion and not upon extremely
careful examination of the car.  Despite that, I am still happy with my
decision, but now after a friend was kind enough to put my car upon a lift for
very careful examination, I have discovered a few "problems".

The first is that I have the dreaded differential mount cancer.  The passenger
front and driver rear are toast.  I am sure I am not the first to have taken
this route.  I realize a frame off would be best to repair the problem, but
without a garage and sufficient space myself it really isnt a possibility right
now.  I also know this can be done while the body is still on the frame,
although not very easily.  The questions I have are a little different.  For
those who have had this done while on the car, what words of wisdom can I gain
from your experience?  Can anyone give me an estimate of about how much labor
time should be expected.  I realize every car and therefore every repair will
be different, but I am looking for a ballpark.  I promise, I wont call you to
complain if it goes longer than you estimate.

Secondly, although the two parts of the frame where the trailing arms mount
have been reinforced, it is quite obvious that the job wasnt done nearly as
nicely as it should have been.  On the drivers side one side of the inner
bracket is not really holding onto much and the other bracket is actually
welded to the frame.  The question is, has anyone replaced these pieces with
the body still on the car?  Is it even possible?

The day certainly was happy considering the beautiful weather and then sad
considering the rather disappointing news regarding the car.  I did identify
the problem with the brakes.  Seems that the PDWA that I replaced O rings in is
now leaking slightly from the large bolt on the end.  It is as tight as I can
get it.  Anyone had problems here before?  Anyone use plumbers tape on the bolt
before?  I plan on exploring the problem tomorrow.  And good news bad news
about blinkers, temp gauge and fuel gauge not working.  Good news, it was a
blown fuse.  Bad news, not sure what is causing it to fail.  Sigh, sure seems
like one step forward, two steps back.  (except today, it was more like two
miles back.)

Cheers everyone,

Aaron
(working hard to keep a positive attitude)