Tuning for emissions test

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Tuning for emissions test
From: "Darrell Ramsey" <dmramsey6@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 18 May 2003 20:57:40 -0700
I been working on my 71 six preparing for its annual emmissions test.  The
car runs beautifully, but I am unable to get CO down to the needed level,
ie, I can't get it lean enough.  HC hasn't been a problem.  The spec I need
to pass is 5.0% CO at idle, I can't get it below 8.0%.  I'm using a Gunson
GasTester for measurement.  I've leaned out the carb needle adjusters as far
as I think I go without unscrewing them from their sleeves (4 turns out from
tight).  I also have the idle trim screws fully backed out.

The carbs were professionally rebuilt and rebushed several years ago, the
distributor has been rebuilt, and it's had a recent valve job.  Dwell and
timing is set to factory specs.  Any advice or ideas?

Thanks
Darrell