Safety Tip

To: "TR6 list" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Safety Tip
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 07:53:43 -0700
        Folks:

        Just wanted to pass along a little safety tip.

        I was taking pictures of the 6, in preparation of getting insurance from
Hagerty (Gotta love those guys - cheap insurance for a classic car). Anyway,
I went to take a picture of the engine, and the BRAND NEW hood release cable
failed.
#*^#@*$%@#$*!!!!
        To make a long story short, I was crawling around under the car to see
what
I might be able to do to get the bonnet to pop loose, and my eyes fell on the
driver side
brake hose. YIKES! The outer casing is split all the way around on the end
closest to
the caliper, and the fabric reinforcement is badly frayed, leaving only the
inner hose to contain the pressure.
        I replaced both front hoses this weekend (rear hoses next weekend) and
they both
had failed in the same way. These were the original Girling hoses, so they were
29
years old, but the rubber was badly cracked at the upstream end, completely
split at
the downstream end. This was an accident waiting to happen.
        I wanted to encourage all of you to carefully inspect your brake hoses
near the
crimp fittings for signs of cracking. Don't want another TR6 to end up in the
ditch
because of some old, dried out brake line.

        Be safe,

        Vance

        PS. Got the hood open by repairing the cable. The crimp holding the
casing had
failed at the bonnet release handle. Recrimped it with my trusty vise grips,
and
voila! Discouraging though that the new part failed the very first time it was
used...

The most likely way for the world to be destroyed, most experts agree, is
by accident. That's where we come in; we're computer professionals. We
cause accidents. - Nathaniel Borenstein