Re: Transmission Seal Replacement

To: Acekraut11@aol.com, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Transmission Seal Replacement
From: "TR6 Triumph" <tr6_1969@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 16:09:51 +0000
Hi Aaron,

If I may interpret what you wrote, you have a non-overdrive transmission and
you are talking about the gasket that lies in a verticle plane between the
gearbox and the rear cover of the transmission.  The issue you will
encounter is that the shaft leaving the transmission, the output shaft, is
long and runs through the entirety of rear trans cover.  In order to remove
the rear cover you need quite a bit of room.  Removal of the transmission is
a good idea.  If it is doable in the car it would be very difficult.

Some people don't remove the engine when they remove the transmission.  They
take it out the passenger's side of the interior.  If you can happily do
that- great.  I always take both the engine and trans out together because I
can do it all by myself.  Without a spare set of hands it is difficult to
manipulate the transmission out of the car and I don't like to lie it on the
floor pans.  Then afterwards I find it very hard to align up the
transmission input shaft with the clutch.  I don't have a car lift just an
engine hoist.  But that's all personal preference.

Good luck,
Dave