Sump cover and gasket

To: "'TR6 list'" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Sump cover and gasket
From: "Mark Creamer" <mcreamer@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 06:28:08 -0400
I have noticed that the sump cover at the bottom of the overdrive  (J
type) has been leaking badly, so I took it off. After cleaning
everything up, I put a new gasket on, using Permatex silicon
oil-resistant gasket sealant, and following the manual instructions,
began to tighten the 6 bolts to 16 lb with my torque wrench. Two things
happened. First, it absolutely crushed the gasket, to the point that it
oozed out the side. Second, one of the bolts broke off.

So I ordered another gasket, and a new set of bolts. I plan to use a
broken bolt extractor today to get the fragment out, and prepare it to
try again.

Can 16lb really be right, and if so, is crushing the gasket an expected
result? I noticed the gasket fits fine with respect to the holes, but
overlaps the outside edge by about 1/8". I suspect that doesn't really
matter, but maybe that's why it looks so bad as I tighten it down. I
could really benefit from anyone's experiences here. Thanks!

Mark Creamer
6-PACK Membership Secretary