RE: Calling all experts

To: "Mark Bullard" <mbullard@hawaii.rr.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Calling all experts
From: "Stephen Hanselman" <tr6@kc4sw.com>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 07:17:21 -0700
Mark,

The Smart A... answer is that if it walks like a duck, quacks..... You have
too much air getting in somewhere.

Since you mention that the compression is up, and that you had the head
worked on start at the head gasket and work out.  Is there any discoloration
to the oil (from water/gas contamination)?  Look at the intake manifold to
head gasket and make sure that it is intact.    I really think you'll find
your problem in one or both of the carbs.  Make sure that all places that
have access to the outside world from the guts of the carbs are blocked off.
For the purposes of your test you can literally take every hose (except gas)
off the carbs and block up the respective holes.

As I sat and did this epic answer a light bulb went off.  What's your fuel
pressure and does it flow is a nice full stream.  You might have a dead fuel
pump, bad filter, clogged screen in the fuel pump,etc

Good luck

Steve
www.kc4sw.com
tr6@kc4sw.com