Re: Carb trouble...reprise

To: <jtarnow@lehman.com>, "6pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Carb trouble...reprise
From: "Lumia, John" <jlumia@ball.com>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 08:46:00 -0600
Josh, now that you have the carbs fixed (hopefully), you will probably need to
have the carbs readjusted.  You may get by just readjusting carb balance then
the mixture.  If this helps and you are not sure when the car was last tuned
up, I would consider going back to square one.  Adjust the valves, do a
complete tune up with points, plugs etc, then carb adjustment.  If the carb
readjustment thing doesnt work, then perhaps you still have a vacuum leak
somewhere.  It helps if you have a vacuum pump like a mity-vac contraption to
check the various vacuum hoses, and a vacuum gauge that you plug into one of
your manifold vacuum take offs.  One my 76 I plugged the gauge into the port
that feeds the gulp (diverter) valve and I get about 13 PSI at idle, which
might be higher for you since I'm at 5280 ft elevation (Denver area). If you
have a leak, you will probably get significantly lower vacuum than that.

John - 1976 TR6

Josh wrote:>
Listers, last we spoke I had trouble with sputtering under acceleration with
the choke off (choke on half way and she runs like a top (not great idle
with the choke on though). After a quick look at the diaphragms I realized
that they were completely torn apart. I replaced them and the problem did
not go away. Shouldn't I have noticed some kind of change replacing the
diaphragms? Would you assume I have a vacuum leak that rendered the carb
piston's inoperable to start with and regardless of the fact that I replaced
the diaphragms I must address the vacuum leak first? Other ideas?