Lifters,long

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Lifters,long
From: MJSUKEY@cs.com
Date: Sun, 25 May 2003 10:03:13 EDT
On the subject of lifters.  IMHO this is a huge problem from the amount of
airspace it has gotten in the last couple of years.  On the hardness issue, I
still cannot agree that it is strictly hardness that is causing the trouble.
Minimum of 55 Rc? Nope, Lifter that I just pulled out of my block last week
that
was trashed from only running 30-50 actual hours over a handful of autox's
last summer checked 55.5 Rc on the face.  From the set I pulled last year that
some went bad there were some that measured softer that still looked like new
while the ones that checked harder were pitted.  There are a lot of people
selling lifters out there that are possibly better but has anybody actually
used
them and had success? I have tried sets from two different suppliers in the
last
two years and both went bad in a short period of time.  I would like to do a
survey from all you triumph owners out there. If you have ever replaced a cam
and/or lifters in your Triumph or have friends that have, heck ask at your car
club if you belong to one, would please send me an email at mjsukey@cs.com
and tell me were you purchased them and if they held up or not and maybe how
many miles you have on them.  I will then put something together and maybe from
all the experience we have as a group we can find one that works.  I will not
turn this into a vendor bashing but if we can see that 30 people purchased them
from vendor "A" and they went bad and 20 people purchased them from vendor
"B" and they held up I can at least put something on the list that says that
based on the feedback from 50 people it looks like we stand our best chance
from
vendor "B".  Now that I am thinking about it I have friends with MG's that
have had the same trouble so maybe we should open the survey up to all British
cars.  As a side note, I have started to do some research on some specialty
coatings used on steels that might have some merit.  Thanks for reading my long
rambling.

Thanks,
Marty Sukey