FYI: followup: nut? where? windscreen frame removal, more...

To: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Subject: FYI: followup: nut? where? windscreen frame removal, more...
From: James A TenCate <tencate@mac.com>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 21:30:30 -0600
Original message snippet follows:
>  HOWEVER, the big question of the day?  That windscreen frame hold-down bolt
>  that goes through the center-front of the dash?  It turns easily but
>  won't come out.  I'm guessing that whatever that bolt is screwed into
>  (a nut clipped or welded to the other side or something like that) is
>  loose and is turning with the bolt.  Nothing is easy.
>
>  What IS on the other side of that bolt and how can I get at it?

>I'm 99% certain that the nut that you are talking about is a "captive nut"
>and that it is only accessible by taking out the heater core/ fan unit.

Bob:  Just FYI, I did finally get around to partially removing the
heater core/fan unit (easy, and it didn't have to come all the way
out actually!) and got that middle bolt out.  The weird thing is that
the nut didn't appear to be captive at all.  I couldn't see it very
well but there doesn't really seem to be any evidence of whatever
held it in place other than glue or maybe a spot weld.  Curious.
Anyone know?

>Once the heater box is out, turn on the 4" grinder and "go wild" (from the
>backside).

Didn't have to :-)  Put a socket on the nut and turned out the bolt
and took out the non-captive nut with the socket I used to hold it in
place.

>  > Thanks,
>  > Jim TenCate, 74 TR-6, still with windscreen attached.

And yes, sports fans, even after repeated dousings of PB Blaster
Penetrating stuff, the windscreen frame is still stuck solid on the
driver's side.  Haven't tried any of the other suggestions I got yet.
FYI, the passenger side of the frame freed up in about three days.
I'll give it another week of patience and penetrating oil before I
get tough :-)

Jim