Re: Starter

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Starter
From: Trumpet76TR6@cs.com
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 08:46:36 EDT
In a message dated 5/26/2003 10:45:02 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
res0s0t7@verizon.net writes:
> Listers,
>
> I suspect my starter is weak.  No matter how much I charge the battery (new
> last year) the engine never cranks as fast as it used to and after very
> little
> cranking the speed falls off substantially.  There are no odd noises or
> engagement problems.  The starter motor gets quite warm with use but I don't
> know how one would quantify that for comparison with how warm it ought to
> be.
>
> Does anyone know of a test procedure for determining the condition of a
> starter while it is still in the car?  Maybe one could assume out of hand
> that
> a 30-year old British car is likely to need a new starter.
>
> Does anyone have any tips to consider regarding the replacement of a TR6
> starter?  How about the brand or source of a new one?  Is Lucas the only
> brand
> available?
>

> Gary
> '73

   The last time I bought a battery at Sears (about 5 years ago) they tested
the battery in the car as well as the charging system and the amp draw of the
starter.  A high amp draw indicates a bad starter.  I may be mistaken, but I
think they did those tests for free if you buy a battery because they are
hoping to sell you a starter, alternator, etc.  Also they don't want you coming
back crying that your new battery died quickly and it turns out that you have
an
electrical problem that caused it. You may want to call around and see if you
can find a place that tests your electrical system.
  Ken,  AZ,  76TR6