RE: Starter

To: <Trumpet76TR6@cs.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Starter
From: "Stephen Hanselman" <tr6@kc4sw.com>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 06:58:17 -0700
Hi all,

The special mentioned by ken below is going on right now,  I saw the ad over
the weekend.

The high draw could be (probably is) related to one of the following
1. bad starter relay/solenoid
2. bad brushes in the motor/worn out commutator (both are fixable to an
extent)
3. bad high current cable from battery to the starter
4. bad ground cable/connection (maybe even on the starter motor itself)

Basically anything that make a poor connection for the high current
connection can cause both heating and "slow spin"  If the car was a daily
driver for the better part of it's life my bet is on either the solenoid or
the brushes.

In the way of theory, the starter motor is basically a dead short across the
battery at the instant of turn on.  It gets real hot, real quick.  It
doesn't burn up because the motor starts to spin and you end up "pulsing"
power to consecutive windings fairly quickly.  In order to spin you have to
build a magnetic field big enough to spin both the motor and the engine.
This takes lots of current, poor connections limit the available current and
the motor spins slower and gets hotter.  As an aside this applies to
anything electrical in the car.  Bad connections result in current limiting,
resulting in dim lights, slow motors, etc.

regards

Steve

tr6@kc4sw.com