Gasket goop

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Gasket goop
From: "Creamer, Mark" <CreamerM@cintas.com>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 09:03:27 -0400
Last week I was tightening down the J-type OD sump cover, and broke a
bolt off. Turns out I also warped and cracked the cover - all due to
trying to use the 16lb torque spec suggested in the manual.

Well, I got some great answers from the group re that spec, and just
wanted to follow up with something interesting. I was able to secure a
new cover from BPNW (Thanks guys, you really went beyond the call for me
on this one...!!), but in the mean time, I thought I'd try an
experiment. So I took the cracked cover, removed the gasket, cleaned the
surface and reapplied it using Permatex UltraBlue RTV silicon gasket
stuff instead of the new stock gasket I already had on hand. So far, not
only has it *not* leaked around the edges, but not through the crack
either. (I applied a bead of the stuff along the inner surface of the
crack before re-installing.)

Anyway, does anyone see a problem using this stuff instead of a
traditional gasket when my new sump cover arrives this week? The
literature says it is highly oil resistant, and is good up to 500 deg.
If that works, I may want to use it when I change the oil pan gasket
later also. Can a drip-free Triumph be a reality? ;-)

Mark Creamer
CF53032UO