Re: TR6 vacuum cleaning (+)

To: jtarnow@lehman.com, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR6 vacuum cleaning (+)
From: "TR6 Triumph" <tr6_1969@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 16:29:38 +0000
Hi Josh,

IMHO, the fittings should be tight enough to make an airtight seal and often
are not so on many TR6s because of age and drying.  I recently ordered all
new ones because of this and have yet to fit them all.  (Actually for a 1969
TR6 some of them are no longer available, but I have used some extra small
tubing that is black, which looks good, and has done the trick. 1969 TR6s
have both advance and retard units on the distributor).

Interestingly, due to the fact that I couldn't get a few of the connectors I
bought some new vacuum line (in many sizes) just to keep me going.  I was
able to seal up the old thin black vacuum line to the new tubing but then
said to myself that I ought to just use 3 feet of the new line directly, as
it fits perfectly on both the vacuum units and the vacuum line on a 1969
TR6.  So I removed all the old thin plastic vacuum line and old connectors
and installed the new non-original vacuum line and everything ran a lot
better.  So I inspected the old vacuum line and found that it was cracked in
one area and crushed shut in another.  So I advise to take a look at the old
thin black vacuum line too.

But even after that, like you, I seem to have one line that is not pulling a
vacuum (my 1969 TR6 has two separate vacuum circuits).  The line that does
not pull vacuum is the brass fitting on the top of, and towards the manifold
of, one of the carburettor bodies (the front carb, if memory serves me, as
I'm not at my car).  I am considering taking that carb apart again and
trying to clean out that hole maybe with pressure (it is a very tiny hole in
the carb body before the screw-in brass fitting, which I was not able to
remove with reasonable torque when I rebuilt the carbs, and thus I left it
in).

I hope this helps.

Sincerely,
Dave Herbert