Weak spark

To: "TR6 list" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Weak spark
From: "Gary Fluke" <res0s0t7@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 23:26:47 -0700
Listers,

I'm having a hell of a time starting my 6 which is stuck at my Mom's house,
parked on her fairly steep driveway.  Not only is the starter motor weak, but
the spark is more yellow than blue.  My understanding is that a yellow spark
is weak and that the spark should be blue, is that correct?  I even tried
starting fluid and had no luck.

I replaced the coil a couple of years ago with a Crane PS-20 from Moss and now
have the resistance numbers from the manufacturer, so I'll check that. This
coil is to be used with the ballast resistor that came with it, which I am
doing.

Looking at the electrical schematic in the owner's manual for my '73 I find no
ballast resistor shown.  The schematic I got off the internet (I can't
remember the guys name, but there was some conversation on the list about the
source) doesn't show a ballast resistor but it does have a wire labeled
"ballast resistor wire".  Could this be a wire with a certain resistance
instead of the ceramic type resistor commonly used?  I'm going to check this
out with my meter for sure.  If the wire has significant resistance and is in
series with my ballast resistor, then I've got way too much voltage drop.

Also, I am going to bypass the existing ballast resistor and see what that
does for the spark.

Just the other day I checked my timing and had 4deg ATDC at idle and the
advance seemed to be working fine.  The dwell was 34deg, which I believe is
correct.  The points are about 6,000 miles old and the contacts look good.
When it starts, the car runs great.  I just rebuilt the carbs, primarily to
make the car start better.  Didn't someone said 90% of carb problems are
electrical?

Does anyone have comments?

By the way, has anyone heard from Dick Taylor lately?

Gary
'73