Re: brass vacuum fitting on top of carb

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: brass vacuum fitting on top of carb
From: "TR6 Triumph" <tr6_1969@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 15:32:15 +0000
Hey Rex,

Thanks for the reply.  I've held the engine at higher rpms and put my finger
over the brass vacuum advance port (which is located on the carb) and still
felt no vacuum whereas the manifold line pulls hard even at idle (which I
would expect due to the drastically different cross section of the
openings).  Do you have any recommendations as to how I might clean through
the very small hole of the brass vacuum advance port?.  I imagine that I'll
soak the carb body in laquer thinner overnight and then try to use pressure.

Currently, because vacuum to the advance is more important than retart I've
got the manifold vacuum line (normally the retard) running directly to the
advance unit (id est bypassing the vacuum switch on the throttle bellcrank)
and the distributor set static; my motor runs great.  But I'd like to
eventually get everything running as original.  I'm also concerned about
having too much vacuum on the vacuum advance unit and ruining it.

Sincerely,
Dave Herbert