Gauge O-rings sold on eBay

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Gauge O-rings sold on eBay
From: "TR6 Triumph" <tr6_1969@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 16:24:46 +0000
Hi All,

Concerning the square cross sectional o-rings that are sold on eBay for the
Triumph gauges: these are intended for use between the gauge and the dash.
I actually helped the guy that sells them.  I measured the gauges so that he
could order appropriate sized o-rings and then test fit a set.  Here is what
I found.

First: These o-rings are indeed brand new.  But the original rubber o-rings
that I have found on the back of the two large gauges (speedometer and
tachometer) were of a much softer compound and appeared to seal the back of
the gauge when compressed into the dash openings.  They were on the back of
the guages and not inside the bezel.  These new ones, if also similarly
mounted, help the gauges stay off the wooden dash and bring the gauges out
from the recesses quite a bit but IMO you should not expect to accomplish
complete sealing with them.

Second: The ones for the smaller gauges are perfectly sized I/D and slide on
the back of the gauge just ever so slightly.  The ones for the two larger
gauges are tighter.  Not so tight that you can't get them on though.  You
just have to work the o-rings down to the front of the gauge.  They stretch
out.  I haven't test mounted gauges in the dash with these o-rings yet
though.  I would imagine that since the larger o-rings are stretched a bit
(and thus are reduced in cross sectional thickness) that the o-rings would
bring the appeance back to original (or maybe slightly protruding from
original), meaning that they would bring the gauges slightly out of the
openings.  But with the smaller ones I'm afraid that they might make the
gauges stick out excessively, as I've never found o-rings behing the smaller
gauges in the TR6 that I've worked on.  Without o-rings they seem to lie
nicely flush with the dash.  I'll be test-mounting them in a few weeks and
can get back to the group with what I find.

Could these o-rings be used inside the bezels of the gauges?  I'm not sure.
I've been able to take apart the large gauges as the bezels come off easily.
  But I don't know where a cross-sectional o-ring would fit inside the gauge
bezel for the larger gauges.  I usually only find a thin gasket.  And with
the small gauges I'm never able to take them apart (because I never want to
force them).  Whatever o-ring, seal, or aged-vulcanized rubber-glue material
is in there always fuses the bezel to the gauge.

If I were to make gauge o-rings for behind the gauges I'd get some of that
thin black foam (which comes in varying thicknesses) that young kids use in
school (they ususally use colors and not black) and try to carefully cut out
some gaskets for the backs of the large gauges.  Since softer it might
actually seal the back of the larger gauges and then I'd have more control
of thickness.

I can't comment on what the big three sell but I'd be curious.  I hope this
helps.

Sincerely,
Dave Herbert