Rebuilding my heater

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Rebuilding my heater
From: "Phil Beckman" <phil@opentext.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2003 10:12:15 -0500
Folks,

Last spring I discovered that over the winter, a mouse seems to have
decided that the inside of my heater would be a great place to store
corn and other assorted stuff.  My plan is to take a spare heater that I
have, clean it, paint it, make sure the blower motor is in good shape
and then swap the newly rebuilt one for the one that's in the car now.
What I'm looking for is any advice on rebuilding one of these things.
The box itself came apart pretty easily, the heater core itself is out,
the motor is separated from the box but now I'm unsure how to proceed.
I want to make certain the core is sound, has no leaks, etc.  How do I
do that?  I want to make sure the motor is in good shape, doesn't draw
too much power, etc.  Any easy way to determine that?  Any other
suggestions on what I should or should not do?

Thanks in advance.

Phil Beckman
73 TR6
Libertyville, IL.