RE: Welding the block???

To: "'steve bridge'" <slbridge@hotmail.com>, <tr6_1969@hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Welding the block???
From: "Jim Swarthout" <jswarth1@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Aug 2003 17:36:47 -0400
Dave,

The recommendations from the previous posts are excellent.

The following comment is for future use, and probably has nothing to do
with your current problem.

I personally would opt for using a torch and brazing the affected area.
Brazing requires less heat, and brass tends to meld with cast iron
nicely. I have repaired many cast iron exhaust manifolds, (Non Triumph),
by brazing the cracks. If I remember correctly it was an early
Mitsubishi engine that had a problem with multiple cracks originating
from the boss around the O2 sensor. You might be wondering why I even
venture off on a tangent about Mitsubishi exhaust manifolds. The exhaust
manifold gets quite hot, hotter than any other part of the engine, (at
least we hope anyway). If brazing has proven successful for this
application, I'm certain that it represents one of the best ways of
permanently repairing a non-structural area in cast iron. The brass has
the ability to "walk" with the cast iron at different temperatures,
which allows the bond to be quite consistent.

Now pertaining to your immediate problem:

The boss that is cast into the block for the benefit of attaching the
alternator bracket should "NOT" be pressurized with oil. I certainly
won't say "Can't happen", but it would be very odd indeed. I would think
that one of the cross gun drills for the oil galleries would have had to
have been drilled way too deep! I would examine this further before
making any sort of determination as to what is actually causing the
problem.

If you could send along some photos, I'm sure I can help!

Best regards,
Jim Swarthout
Creative Engineering & Design, Inc.